A Greek Summer Through My Eyes




When you hear "Summer in Greece" the first thing that comes to someone's mind is hot weather, beaches, and nightlife;
The thing that most people don't suspect is that to us, summer doesn't mean that, initially it means business.

Even though from my Instagram and facebook one must think that all I do is go to the beach and go out every night. Even though that is partially true, what you don't suspect is that I also go to work every day. This means that I have started to understand how things roll in that domain.
Working has helped me realize a lot of things, has helped me figure out my work ethic and provided me with experience.
I don't work half as much as the locals who have a business and work for over 8 hours every single day with no day off, whom I admire significantly, but still, I feel important in managing our business.

Even still, after work and before, I got to live a good summer. Our routines change so drastically from winter to summer. The village comes alive and this is one of the main reasons I love and long for summer. Also, I see a lot of my friends and family from England to America to Australia, many of whom I haven't seen for years. Since Petra welcomes many people I get the chance to meet new people who each have played a significant role in my life.
To others, seeing people who you don't know is a part of everyday life. Here, for me, its a delight, to not be surrounded by the same and same people. Even more so to be able to speak English on a daily basis which helps me keep in touch with Britain and my other half.

The life we lead in these warm months are so carefree and we live in a way others dream of, I realize how lucky I am. Waking up and going to the beach or going for a morning coffee, not having to think about a lot of things. I just enjoy it so much more because I know how hard I work all winter (school etc).


This is what summer means to me, as to others it is just time of school, work or neither.
For now, I want to enjoy my last summers before I step into the real world.

So, summer is wonderful but not only because of the beach but because throughout one summer here in this village I grow as a person and change, mature and realize a lot of things about myself and others.

Popular Posts