PanHellenic exams...?


Hello everyone, welcome back to the @greeklings blog!
As another beautiful summer comes to an end, this summer I have been called upon to make a decision. A decision most people have to make towards the end of their teenage years.
What am I going to do with my life?
Am I going to go to University?
What do I want to study? and so it goes on...

I wrote this blog a year ago and I was again at a crossroad not knowing how to make the right decision, but with all your wonderful help, I made a decision and it was the best one.

This past summer I have been asked what I want to study and where numerous times. the good news is that I know what I want to study and where but there are some other things I must take into consideration.
I mostly wanted to write this blog as an update on my life at the moment and an explanation as to why I haven't been writing so much lately.

So, enough blah blah lets cut to the point.

 I want to study Media and Communications and then maybe a Post-graduate in PR. 
I want to study in the UK. (England or Wales)

I have set my eye out on at least 4 universities that interest me and have marvelous programs.
Making this decision took a long time, a very long time- yet I believe that I should study in the UK because of all its opportunities that I will have that I would miss out on if I study in Greece.

In Greece, we have Pan-Hellenic exams. These exams are almost equivalent to A levels but are even more rigorous. Only by taking and passing these exams do you get to go to a university in Greece. When deciding you want to take these exams and succeed you must put all of your time and effort into them. This means,
Studying for 4-6 hours per day!
Taking and paying for private lessons as you can not get through the curriculum in school alone so parallel education is strongly advised (private after-school)!
Also, the exams mean not doing anything other than schoolwork, for example, work, sports, extra activities you enjoy, etc.
This is not true in all cases but most successful are the students who have that steady studying timetable and follow it. Basically, most people will advise you to solely focus on schoolwork instead of your hobbies. Something I don't want to do as I want to work on my blog so I can add more things to my UCAS statement.

 The grading system is 20/20 and it's very difficult to achieve a 15/20 in these and most of the universities in Greece in Media Studies are a 17.00 and over.

This was one of the reasons I chose the UK as most of the universities don't require them and only want good grades which are accomplishable. Yet, the problem is that some of the universities have asked me for these exams which aren't very common for out-of-Greece unis to ask for. But some have not asked for them and still only want good grades, but I can't apply for 3 with no exams needed and 2 with those exams needed as I will have to go through with them, something I want to avoid...

So, this is where I am at at the moment. Do I take these PanHellenic exams or not? Who should I listen to? Who's advise should I take? Should I choose other universities? Im trying to ask as many people I know that have studied in the UK from Greece but so many things have changed in the system, I can't compare to them and I can't possibly write a blog long enough to explain the changes so just take my word for it :) 
oh, and I also must add that even if I take these Panhellenic exams and get a high grade, pass into a Uni here in Greece, I will still choose to study in the UK.

Just a little life update for you:)) If you know anybody in a similar situation with me, let me know and if you even have any advice that will help with my decision-making feel free to send me a message,
Messenger: @Constantina Chiotellis
Instagram: @Tinachiotellis
Email: constantinachiotellis@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you for reading!!
Tina xx

Popular Posts